Thursday, December 13, 2007

Nel mezzo del cammin

Part 1

I've had this dream
a million nights
and now I'm living.
Living the running free down the street
out, away, flying away.
Breathing cool, stretching
as wide as the earth.
Fancy footing over pavement, over grass.
Away and away - all flowy-haired and shining.
And in this moment,
I'm me
and it's about me.
There's so much time.
Like the earth is holding it's breath until I step.
Like balancing on a barrel sticky and hot.

How did I get out here?
Days and weeks and years of counting to 10 and then 100
and swallowing tears and fears...


Part 2

"Mother" I branded into my skin myself.
Now I know why all mothers are a little bit crazy.

Thought when we met and kissed I'd never be alone.
Now, I'm more alone than ever.
"It's all on you, babe."
My shoulders broke from the weight of my babies
and the story of all my days is a child's story.
My 10-year plan is a kid's paradise.

Did I lose my mind, my soul
or do I not have a right to one?
Do the rich keep theirs?

Do I look without longing for relief? Can I glance without resentment?

It's all on me: This is my blessed trap. My job.

I am woman:
hear me in the wind a butterfly's wing makes.
It is the wind that turns the world.

No comments: